By Stanley Weinstein (October, 2003) Paperback $67.99
The nonprofit leader’s complete source on setting, pursuing, and meeting building campaign goals. Here’s the guidance you need to accomplish one of the most important steps in the growth of an organization: the campaign for funding and completing a significant building project.
This book lays out a detailed road map for successfully managing all aspects of project realization. Moving easily from preparation to design to fundraising, Capital Campaigns from the Ground Uppresents a comprehensive approach to coordinating these efforts. This practical, clearly written handbook will help you:
- Think strategically in the early preparation stage. Balance building and fundraising concerns. Build a committed team of volunteers, a cohesive board, and a solid donor base. Make a strong case for support, utilize media resources, and communicate a clear mission. Determine what has worked in past successful campaigns.
From the Inside Flap
A capital campaign for a major building project represents a huge opportunity for the not-for-profit organization. However, embarking on such a venture can raise a daunting, even dizzying array of organizational and fundraising challenges. Managing these requires sound planning at the minimum; doing so while remaining faithful to mission requires knowledge and mastery of coordination.
Starting right at the “get go,” Capital Campaigns from the Ground Up covers every aspect of the campaign process, from the project’s inception to its delivery. The book begins by outlining prerequisites for attaining capital- and facility-related goals. From there, chapters contributed by architectural leaders describe how to achieve design excellence and smoothly manage the subsequent construction. Later chapters provide a detailed breakdown of the fundraising campaign, from crafting the case for support to building a volunteer team to nurturing relationships with potential donors. Special features include:
- Photos of various successful buildings– hospitals, learning facilities, sacred spaces, arts venues, and historic sites– which also indicate the range of costs per square foot for each type of construction
- Separate chapters devoted to the particular needs of campaigns involving faith-based institutions and historic preservation projects
- A sample Gantt Chart, a useful planning tool illustrating multiple tasks and timelines for integrating building and fundraising planning steps
- Other helpful outlines and checklists
- In-depth case studies of successful campaigns
While fraught with organizational hurdles, building campaigns can be run efficiently and comprehensively. Capital Campaigns from the Ground Up will help keep nonprofit directors, developers, members of the board, architects, and other decision-makers from getting bogged down in complexities, and allow their organizations–and society–to enjoy the considerable benefits of a successfully realized capital campaign.
From the Back Cover
- Think strategically in the early preparation stage
- Balance building and fundraising concerns
- Build a committed team of volunteers, a cohesive board, and a solid donor base
- Make a strong case for support, utilize media resources, and communicate a clear mission
- Determine what has worked in past successful campaigns
Nonprofit directors, developers, board members, and other decision-makers, along with architects and other design professionals working with nonprofits, will all appreciate and benefit from this invaluable resource.
Dimensions: 10.1 x 7.2 x 0.9 inches
Shipping Weight: 1.6 pounds
Subscribe to Expert Fundraiser and receive a free fundraising tip each week by email.
Look for Similiar Items and Articles by Category or Author